I’ve been seeing recipes for baked feta and tomatoes all over for a while now, and given that I am a big fan of feta I had to try it! Feta is normally a hard and crumbly cheese but when it’s baked it becomes so soft and creamy, perfect for mixing into a sauce! Speaking about roasting, roasted tomatoes are also amazing! Roasting them brings out their flavour and makes them nice and juicy! The combination of the creamy melted feta and the juicy roasted tomatoes is simply magical! The tomato and feta sauce is seasoned with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper along with some optional red pepper flakes for heat. Garlic is mixed into the tomatoes and feta after they are baked and the residual heat cooks it, mellowing it out. You can add extras like fresh basil, baby spinach, sun dried tomatoes, olives, or even chicken, to kick things up a bit. While the tomatoes and feta are baking you can cook some pasta to mix into the sauce and everything will be done in less than 40 minutes, making for a quick and easy meal!
Place the feta and tomatoes in a baking dish and bake.
Add the garlic and basil and mix.
Add the pasta.
Optionally add baby spinach.
Baked Tomato and Feta Pasta
A super simple baked feta and roasted tomato pasta that’s so nice and creamy and good!
- 2 pints (4 cups) cherry/grape tomatoes
- 8 ounce block feta cheese, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced/grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Place the tomatoes and feta in a single layer in a baking dish, drizzle on the olive oil, and sprinkle on the oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until the tomatoes are blistered and the feta is golden brown and soft on the inside, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as directed on the package and drain, reserving some of the pasta water.
- Add the garlic and basil to the pan with the tomatoes and feta and mix everything into a nice creamy sauce, before mixing in the pasta.
- Optionally mix in some of the reserved pasta water to get the sauce to the desired level of sauciness and creaminess!
Option: Add 1/4 cup sliced sundried tomatoes.
Option: Add 1/4 cup sliced olives! (I like kalamata)
Option: Add a splash of balsamic vinegar!
Option: Garnish with parmesan!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon basil pesto to the sauce!
Option: Add chicken! Either add fully cooked chicken at the end OR place raw boneless and skinless chicken breasts (or thighs) and roast with the tomatoes and feta until it reaches 165F.
Option: Use whole cloves of garlic, letting them roast in the pan along with the tomatoes and feta and mashed them before mixing the sauce!