While I was looking for deviled egg recipes I came across the concept of a deviled ham sandwich which was perfect timing as I had a bunch of leftover ham on hand. A deviled ham sandwich is essentially a ham salad bound with mayo. The deviled part comes from the fact that it is spiked with the heat of a hot sauce and spicy mustard. As with any mayo salad, you can add pretty much anything you like and I kept this one nice and simple with some sweet and pungent red onion in addition to the staples and I added a bit of smokiness with some smoked paprika. The deviled ham sandwich was so good! You really can’t go wrong with salty ham bound with mayo and the fiery heat of a chili hot sauce. I dressed the sandwich up with some lettuce and sliced pickles. With the deviled ham that I had left over I tried a ‘melt’ version of the sandwich which if pretty much just the grilled cheese version and the melted gooey cheese version was even better!
- 1 pound smoked ham (cooked, cut int 1 inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mustard (I used a creole mustard)
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce (such as tabasco, I used sriracha, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the ham to the desired size in a food processor.
- Mix everything.