Meatballs are always a fun meal and they get even better when they are giant meatballs and stuffed with plenty of ooey, gooey, melted cheese! These meatballs are Italian flavour themed with onion, garlic, fennel, oregano, parmesan cheese and a pinch of spicy red pepper flakes. Egg and breadcrumbs help to keep the mixture together enough to be wrapped around huge chunks of mozzarella cheese! These meatballs are super easy to make and cooking them is as easy as throwing them into the oven to bake to golden brown perfection! I like to serve them over pasta with marinara sauce and even more parmesan cheese but they also make for some great finger food or appetizers.
Giant Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
Giant Italian style meatballs filled with plenty of melted mozzarella cheese! Yum!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced/grated
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or Italian herb blend/seasoning)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 6 ounces mozzarella, cut into 12 (about 1 inch) cubes
- Mix the ground meat, onion, garlic, parmesan, fennel, salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, parsley, egg and bread crumbs.
- Divide into 12 equal portions, press 1 piece or mozzarella into the center of each portion and form a ball around the cheese.
- Place the meatballs in a baking pan and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until cooked through and lightly golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.
Tip: Serve over pasta with marinara sauce, fresh basil and plenty of parmesan cheese!
Meatball Parmesan Dip
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Zucchini Turkey Meatballs in Marinara on Zoodles
Lamb Meatballs in a Mint Tomato Sauce
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Sriracha Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Lamb and Mint Meatballs with Farro Risotto and Cilantro Pesto