Pasta salad is an amazing side for pretty much any summer meal and this ham and pineapple pasta salad is one of my favourites! A pasta salad is a salad that has a base of pasta with other ingredients in a dressing (or a sauce) and it’s generally served cold or at room temperature. This pasta salad has a base of cooked and cooled pasta (I like macaroni) along with a Hawaiian themed ham and pineapple with red bell pepper, carrots, green and red onions. The dressing has a creamy mayonnaise base with tangy pineapple juice, tart vinegar, a touch of sugar for sweetness and some salt for a salty aspect. The juicy pineapple and salty ham combo in this salad is simply amazing, especially when combined in the creamy dressing! I like to serve this Hawaiian pasta salad with huli huli grilled chicken sandwiches but it’s great with pretty much and meal!
Hawaiian Pasta Salad
A Hawaiian inspired pasta salad with ham and pineapple in a sweet, tangy and creamy dressing!
- 1 pound pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 1 cup ham, diced (optional)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup carrot, grated/shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, grated
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package, drain and rinse in cold water until the pasta has cooled.
- Mix the pasta, pineapple, ham, bell pepper, carrot, red and green onions.
- Mix the mayo, pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Mix the dressing into the salad and enjoy!
Tip: Make a day ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge overnight.
Donna Sutton says
I made this salad this week and loved it! My husband is not a huge fan of macaroni salads, mostly because of the creamy sauce, so this recipe was perfect! I did think the proportion of pasta to the other ingredients was off balance (and also not to waste anything) I added 2 cups of ham, the whole red pepper and the whole can of pineapple. I also added capers and poppy seeds. This is a keeper!!
Becky Lamson says
I don’t eat ham.
What other meat do you suggest??
You could used cooked chicken, smoked turkey, shrimp, etc. or you could simply omit the ham.