A potato farl is a potato cake or bread that is usually rolled out and cut into quarters; farl meaning four parts. The dough is pretty simple containing: mashed potatoes, flour, salt and butter. You can use leftover mashed potatoes or you can quickly boil some potatoes and mash them for the cakes. The dough does not need any work, such as kneading, it’s just mixed and it’s ready to go. Once it’s been rolled out, it’s super easy to fry it up in some butter until golden brown and crispy on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside. Potato farls are often served as a part of breakfast as depicted in the photos!
Irish Potato Farls (Potato Cakes)
Light and fluffy potato cakes fried until perfectly golden brown!
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cover the potatoes in water, bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the water and mash or rice the potatoes.
- Mix in the butter and salt before mixing in the flour until it forms a nice soft dough.
- Optionally divide the dough into 2-4 pieces*, form balls and roll out into discs on a lightly floured surface, before cutting into quarters.
- Fry the cakes in butter, or oil, or lard, or bacon grease, over medium heat until lightly golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Note: *You can make one really thick cake or you can split the dough into 2-4 equally sized pieces.
Option: Mix in thinly sliced green onions.
Option: Mix in grated apple!
This is pretty much the recipe for basic Italian gnocchi. Butter is not included, but you can knead them roll into “ropes”. Cut them into little pillows and boil.!
I will definitely try this recipe for sure
It is very similar! I love both!
I love potatoes and will try any recipe that includes them. These look wonderful and can’t wait to try them. They look like Chinese potato scallion pancakes, which are great!
If using leftover mashed potatoes, about how many cups would that be? Or, just add flour to them until it makes a soft dough?
Use about 4 cups of mashed potatoes. Add as much flour as required to make a soft dough; it should be about 1 cup of flour. Enjoy!
How many cups/dry measurement is 2 lbs potatoes mashed or riced? Hard to weigh potatoes and then mash them here… And if using leftover mashed potatoes, how much do you use for this recipe? thanks.
Use about 4 cups of mashed (or riced) potatoes!
Patti L. says
Kevin. Your plated mashed potatoes makes a lovely breakfast (or whenever) meal become a delicious gastronomic adventure! Makes me think of camping and huge appetites that go with the outdoors! Thanks.