Last week while I was enjoying my lentil stew with Italian sausage and kale I noted how green it was. One thought led to another and the next thing that I was thinking about was red lentils and how a red lentil stew would be nice. Since I still had the remaining half a pound of the Italian sausage that needed to be finished the choice was easy to make. I started with the green lentil stew recipe and replaced the green de puy lentils with red lentils. From there I removed the green kale and replaced it with some tomatoes. I still have a freezer full of roasted red peppers from the fall and I could not resist adding a few of them for even more red. With that I had my red lentil stew recipe. Since I was planning on making some cheesy garlic bread to go with the stew, I threw the rind from that into the stew to add even more flavour. This stew was really easy to make with the hardest part being chopping all of the vegetables but it was well worth the effort! The roasted red peppers went really well with the Italian sausage and red lentils and they really added a ton of flavour to the stew. Although the same amount of red lentils as de puy lentils did not make as predominant a showing in this stew, the red lentil version was definitely tastier!
Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Stew
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (casing removed and crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- chili pepper flakes to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 roasted red peppers (sliced into bite sized pieces)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 parmigiano reggiano rind (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- Cook the sausage in a large pot and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pot.
- All the onions, carrot and celery and and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the sausage, lentils, chicken stock, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, balsamic vinegar and parmigiano reggiano rind and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are cooked al dente, about 20-30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and mix in the parsley.
Lentil Stew with Italian Sausage and Kale
Ham and Lentil Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Pepper Soup
Black Bean and Roasted Pepper Soup
Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Frittata topped with Marinara and Mozzarella
Lemony Lentil Soup
Bacon and Brie Omelette