Easter is this weekend and I have been thinking about some sweet treats to serve. During spring I often think about lemon when considering sweet desserts and these lemon butter tarts are perfect for the occasion! Butter tarts are a simple tart where light and flaky all butter pie crust is filled a sugary custard, often accompanied by nuts and/or raisins. I really like these kinds of tarts as they are super easy to make; you pretty much just place the filling into the unbaked pastry and bake it! This is a lemon version where the filling is a lemon custard consisting of the juice and zest of one lemon along with sugar, egg, and butter. These sweet and tart lemon butter tarts are amazing any time and since they take so little effort to make, you will be making them all the time!
Lemon Butter Tarts
Sweet and tangy lemon tarts in light and flakey all butter pastry crust!
- 1 pie crust pastry, chilled
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- pinch of salt
- Roll the pastry out to 1/8 inch thick and cut out 12 2-4 inch circles, pressing them into the holes in a muffin baking pan.
- Optionally, chill the muffin pan in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the lemon juice, zest, sugar, egg, yolk, butter, and salt and pour the mixture into the tarts.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven and bake until set, about 18-20 minutes.
love these, lemon-anything is a favorite or downfall, but really nice in a tart, and love the small serving size too, thank you!
Georgina Alexandruk says
Love these and my friends raved about the lemon filling!
Beth Helmly says
Im going to make these for Mother’s Day if I hear back from you in time! Are these mini tarts or regular muffin size? Easy and delicious!
Mk welsh says
they look like the mini muffin tins (tarts)in relation to the hand holing one…..
In the photos I used regular muffin pans. You can also use mini or even large ones! I usually make them using a regular muffin size but the large ones, with the high filling to pastry ratio, are also really good!