Mexican cuisine and Italian cuisine are two of my favourites and this is a tasty combination of the two; Italian bolognese sauce with Mexican flavours! This dish starts out pretty much the same as a regular bolognese sauce with beef, onions, garlic, tomatoes and parmesan and the Mexican style flavours include: cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, allspice, peppers, jalapenos, chipotle chilies in adobo, oregano, and cilantro. All of the flavours work so well together in this dish, especially the smokiness and the warmth from the chilies and the paprika, not to mention the spices. This Mexican bolognese is great over pasta or rice and it’s the perfect bowl of comfort food!
Mexican Style Bolognese
A Mexican inspired take on a bolognese sauce with smoky chipotle chili peppers!
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces (optional)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese) grated
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or crema)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan and set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- Add the beef, onion, green pepper and jalapeno and cook, breaking the beef apart as it cooks, before draining any excess grease.
- Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, and allspice, mix and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chipotle chilies, oregano, and bay leaves, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer. (Note: You can simmer for as little as 10 minutes, up to several hours, covered.)
- Add the cheese and sour cream, mix and let the cheese melt into the sauce.
- Add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste before mixing in the cilantro and enjoying!
Option: Add 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder.
Option: Garnish with chopped roasted peanuts!
Option: Garnish with sesame seeds!