One of my favourite things about the summer is being able to pull out the grill to do some cooking; there is just something magical about the smoky, slightly charred, flavour that the grill adds! One of the easiest things to cook on the grill is chicken, simply season it up or marinate it, and throw it on the grill! This chicken is marinated in a Peruvian themed sauce with olive oil, sour lime juice, salty soy sauce, sweet honey and spicy chili pepper. There is also some cumin and oregano for flavour and aroma along with paprika and annatto for some colour! You can marinate the chicken for as little as 20 minutes or as long as overnight and it only takes a few minutes to cook on the grill! This chicken is best served with a Peruvian green sauce (aka aji verde) or with it on the side for dipping the chicken into!
Peruvian Grilled Chicken
Grilled chicken in a tasty Peruvian style marinade!
- 4 garlic cloves, minced/grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey (or brown sugar, or sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground annatto (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)*
- 1 pound of boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, pounded thin
- Mix the garlic, oil, lime juice, soy sauce, honey, cumin, oregano, parika, annatto, and cayenne well.
- Mix the chicken into the marinade and let marinade, covered, in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, to overnight.
- Shake off any excess marinade from the chicken and grill over medium-high heat until cooked through and lightly charred on both sides, about 2-8 minutes per side.
Option: Add 1 teaspoon ground coriander.
Option: Add 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar.
Option: You can also pan sear the chicken over medium-high heat for about 2-8 minutes per side, or roast it in the oven at 425F for 15-20 minutes.
Tip: Serve with Aji Verde (Peruvian Green Sauce)!
Peruvian Grilled Chicken Salad