Last month with St. Patrick’s day I saw a lot of beef stew recipes and something else that caught my eye; a beef stew pie. A beef stew pie is pretty much like it sounds, beef stew that is baked in a pie. That’s right, beef that is slowly braised until it is fall apart tender and full of flavour that is baked into light and flaky golden brown pastry…mmm… To make things even better the beef can be braised in Guinness. Not to stop there but you can also add some bacon and brown the meat and saute the vegetables in the bacon grease for even more flavour. I knew that I would have to make a steak and guinness pie long before this point but then I came across an adaptation of Jamie Olivers steak and Guinness pie on The Cutting Edge of Ordinary that also included cheddar cheese! I would not have thought to use cheddar cheese to a beef stew pot pie but as soon as I heard it I knew that I had to try it!
I modified the recipe a bit so that I would have just enough to fill my pie plate with beef stew. I decided to go with an actual pie crust as my pie crust skills could use a bit of work. The steak and guinness pie turned out amazing! The pie crust came out nice and golden brown and it was light and buttery and flaky both on the top and the bottom. After braising for three hours the beef stew was so full of flavour that it would have been wonderful all by itself but then it was wrapped with the pie pastry and topped with a layer of melted cheddar cheese and it was sublimely good! This was one of the best meals that I have had in a while! This recipe is definitely a keeper. I went with a classic pairing and served the beef and guinness pot pie with a side of peas.
Steak and Guinness Pie
- 4 slices bacon (sliced)
- 1 pound beef (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 2 carrots (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (quartered)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 can Guinness
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cook the bacon and set aside leaving the grease in the pan.
- Add the beef and brown on all sides and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the guinness and deglaze the pan.
- Add the stock, bacon, beef, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours.
- Place the first pie crust into the bottom of a pie plate and pour the beef stew in.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the beef stew and cover with the top pie crust.
- Mix the egg and water and brush it onto the top of the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven until golden brown on top, about 30-40 minutes.
Chicken Pot Pie
Irish Lamb Stew
Italian Style Beef Stew with Butternut Squash
Nikujaga (Japanese Beef Stew)
Guinness Braised Onion and Aged White Cheddar Quiche
Bangers and Colcannon with Guinness Onion Gravy
Corned Beef Poutine with Guinness Gravy
Steak and Guinness Stew with Irish White Cheddar Cauliflower Mash