You may have noticed, based on the number of posts, that I really like strawberries. I had been looking forward to strawberry season for a while and I built up a rather long list of things that I wanted to try. Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts and I had been thinking that a strawberry cheesecake ice cream would be good. The idea was pretty simple, a custard based ice cream with chunks of strawberries, cream cheese and graham cracker crust. Of course, if you happen to have a slice of cheesecake lying around you could just crumble it into the ice cream. For the crust I just made a simple graham cracker crust and crumbled it. I was a bit worried that the graham cracker crust crumbs would get crushed in the ice cream maker so I added them half way through the freezing process hoping that they would stick together better. The strawberry cheesecake ice cream turned out really well! You could taste and feel the difference in texture of the chunks of strawberries, cream cheese and the graham cracker crust.
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries (cut into small pieces)
- 2 ounces cream cheese (chopped into small cubes)
- 1/4 cup crumbled graham cracker (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- Heat the cream, milk and sugar in a sauce pan until it almost boils, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add one tablespoon of the cream mixture to the eggs to temper them.
- Add the egg mixture to the sauce pan.
- Cook at low heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge.
- Start freezing according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.
- About half way through add the strawberries, cream cheese and graham cracker crust crumbs.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1/4 cup graham wafer crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Mix everything in a bowl.
- Press the mixture onto the bottom of a baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool completely.