Recently I have really been enjoying simple vegetable soups. I am still surprised by how such simple recipes can make such great soups. Many vegetable soups only have a few ingredients and yet they are so tasty. A while ago I came across this recipe for roasted cauliflower and red pepper soup. I really like roasted vegetables as roasting them adds a lot of flavour. Roasted red peppers are among my favorite roasted vegetables and I just had to try a roasted red pepper soup. I had also been wanting to try roasting cauliflower so I roasted the cauliflower as well. This soup was super simple to make though it took a bit of time roasting and simmering. It turned out really tasty! The roasted red pepper was the star flavour and the cauliflower contributed a really nice texture and thickness to the soup. There are a lot of things that you can garnish a vegetable soup with including sour cream, fresh chopped herbs, pestos, etc. I garnished mine with a bit of sour cream the first time and some dukkah the second time. The dukkah was really good as a garnish for the soup. It added a bit of spice and heat and a nice contrasting crunchy texture.
1 head cauliflower (cut into florets)
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 roasted red peppers
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
3 cups stock or water (add more to thin the soup out if you like)
1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional garnish)
1 tablespoon sour cream (optional garnish)
1 tablespoon dukkah (optional garnish)
1 tablespoon herb (optional garnish, chopped)
1. Toss the cauliflower florets in the olive oil with the salt and pepper.
2. Arrange the cauliflower florets in a single layer in a baking dish.
3. Roast the cauliflower in a preheated 400F oven until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a pan.
5. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
7. Add the cauliflower, roasted red peppers, cayenne and stock.
8. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 20 minutes.
9. Puree with a hand blender.
10. Serve garnished with heavy cream or dukkah or chopped herbs etc.
Roasted Cauliflower and Poblano Pepper Soup
Cauliflower and White Cheddar Soup with Dill
Cream of Asparagus Soup
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup
Looking for more soup recipes?