Spring is here and asparagus imported from Mexico and the USA has been in grocery stores for a few weeks now. On the weekend I was at the St Lawrence Market and they had the first of the local asparagus that I have seen. I picked up a lot of it!
One of the first things that I tried was cream of asparagus soup. I forgot to pick up the heavy cream that most recipes that I saw called for so I ended up replacing it with some plain yogurt. I also tried adding a bit of flavour by adding some miso. It turned out great. I will have to make it again.
Cream of Asparagus Soup
- 8 stalks asparagus (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1 & 1/2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon shiro miso
- Simmer the asparagus and onion in the chicken stock until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove some asparagus tips and reserve for garnish.
- Puree the soup.
- Mix the miso with a few tablespoons of the soup in a small bowl.
- Add the miso mixture and the yogurt to the soup and mix.
- Pour the soup into a serving bowl and add the asparagus tips.
- Garnish with parmigiano-reggiano if you wish.