With the big football game this weekend I thought that I would try out some snacks for the big day. On the top of my list was the 7 layer dip which I had been wanting to try for a while. The 7 layer dip consists of seven layers as follows: refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese, black olives, garnishes such as green onions. I looked at a bunch of recipes and I decided to go with the 7 layer dip by Elise on Simply Recipes. I liked the sound of serving the refried beans warm with the cheese melted on top. Between the refried beans, guacamole and salsa in a more standard recipe there are a lot of duplicated flavours. I liked that Elise's recipe called for simply sliced avocado instead of guacamole and chopped tomatoes instead of the salsa. Besides, it is less work to chop an avocado and a tomato that it is to make guacamole and salsa. :) Even though I made my own refried beans, the dip came together in almost no time. The 7 layer dip was so good!! I had a hard time not polishing it all off in one sitting and then I skipped dinner after. I really enjoyed the warm spiced refried beans and the melted cheese was nice and gooey and good. The rest of the flavours melted together to form a medley of warm, spicy, cheesy, hot, cool, refreshing and even crunchy from the tortilla chips that I served it with. It made me think of a deconstructed refried bean taco in dip form. I can't wait to make this again!
7 Layer Dip
The 7seven layer dip is classic party food and this is a lighter take on with plenty of fresh ingredients that sacrifices nothing in flavour!
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups refried beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1/4 water
- 1 cup cheese (cheddar and jack work great), shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 handful black olives.pitted and sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat the refried beans, chili powder and cumin in a pan adding water until they come to a consistency that is easily dip-able, about 1/4 cup.
- When the beans are nice and bubbling, spread them out on the bottom of your serving dish.
- Quickly sprinkle on the cheese so that it can melt and become gooey. (If it does not melt enough to your liking microwave it or place it under the broiler for a few minutes.)
- Toss the avocado in lime juice and sprinkle onto the dip, followed by the tomato, jalapenos, sour cream, olives and green onions.
Chipotle Lime Shrimp and Guacamole Dip with Tomatoes and Charred Corn