Not too long ago I made and really enjoyed some
fresh corn cornmeal pancakes
and I was to find out that they worked with savoury toppings just as well as they did with sweet toppings! I had topped those pancakes with salsa and sour cream and served them with a side of avocado and of course that got me to thinking about texmex flavours and of course that led me to the idea of using the pancakes in a tostada like way. The basic idea behind a tostada is a lot like tacos except that the tortillas are served flat and they are toasted until crispy and they are can be topped with any of your favourite texmex ingredients. After thinking about it for a while I settled in on the idea of topping my cornmeal pancake tostadas with all of the ingredients of my favourite
7 layer dip
Seven Layer Dip Cornmeal Pancakes
Cornmeal pancakes topped with seven layer dip including refried beans, pico de gallo, cheese, guacamole and sour cream, olives and green onions.
- 1 batch cornmeal pancakes, warm (see below)
- 1 cup refried beans, warm
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 cup cheese such as jack and cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Spread the refried beans on the pancakes, sprinkle on the pico de gallo, lettuce and cheese, throw on a dollop of guacamole and sour cream and garnish with black olives and green onions.
Cornmeal adds an amazing texture to pancakes that works equally well with sweet or savoury toppings.
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk, eggs and butter in another bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients making sure to not over mix.
- Heat a pan and melt a touch of butter in it.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and heat until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
7 Layer Dip
Fresh Corn Pancakes
Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes
Butternut Squash and Chorizo Tostadas
Jalapeno Cornbread Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Caramelized Onions, Refried Black Beans and Guacamole
Quinoa Flatbread with Tabbouleh, Falafel, Feta and Pomegranate
Chipotle Tuna 7 Layer Dip