Making the jalapeno cornbread to go with the chili was just an excuse because what I really wanted it for was to make some really special jalapeno cornbread grilled cheese sandwiches. I first came across the idea for this cornbread grilled cheese at a recent Toronto Underground Market where Comida Del Pueblo was serving them and boy did they ever look good! Unfortunately the long line kept me away and before I knew it I was out of time and it was too late. Rather than become depressed I simply saw this as a challenge to make them at home based solely on the description of the jalapeno cornbread grilled cheese with chipotle caramelized onions, refried black beans and guacamole.
Luckily I was familiar with making all of the ingredients and had recipes for the chipotle caramelized onions , refried black beans , and guacamole so I only needed to come up with the recipe for the jalapeno cornbread and then combine everything, add some cheese and grill it up. Making all of the ingredients from scratch can take some time but it is well worth it as they make one amazingly spectacular sandwich! Once you have all of the ingredients ready, these sandwiches are as easy to make as buttering up the cornbread, throwing it into a pan, topping it with cheese, onions, beans, more cheese and the remaining cornbread before grilling it until the cheese melts and the cornbread is nice and golden brown. The cornbread does not hold together too well so you have to be gentle when flipping the sandwiches and even then I ended up eating them with a fork but they were so good that I did not mind at all.
The cornbread grills up nice and buttery crisp on the outside and yet it remains light, moist and tender on the inside. The chipotle caramelized onions provide the fiery heat that the creamy refried beans and melted cheese do a great job of balancing out. Overall the filling is still on the spicy side and when combined with the sweetness of the cornbread, the coolness of the avocado and tangy sour cream, it literally creates magic in your mouth! These are so addictively good! I already need another loaf of jalapeno cornbread!
Jalapeno Cornbread Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Caramelized Onions, Refried Black Beans and Guacamole
Jalapeno cornbread sandwiches stuffed with refried plenty of cheese, black beans and chipotle caramelized onions that are grilled until the cornbread is golden brown and the cheese has melted. The sandwiches are then served with a topping of cool and creamy guacamole, a dab of sour cream and some fresh cilantro. Mmmm… so good!
- 8 slices jalapeno cornbread
- 1/2 cup refried black beans
- 1/4 cup chipotle caramelized onions
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter up one side of each slice of cornbread, put half of them butter side down in the pan, sprinkle on half the cheese followed by the onions, a dollop of refried beans, the remaining cheese and cornbread with the buttered side up.
- Grill until golden brown, carefully flip and continue grilling until the other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Top with guacamole, sour cream and cilantro and enjoy!