I am back from my short vacation in Vegas and just in time to enjoy some amazing warm weather right here in Toronto! In fact it has been almost warm enough to be full on summer and that means that it is time to get some grilling on! I have had the idea for these chicken satay inspired burgers on my mind for months and now that with the warmer weather it was time to make them! The basic idea behind these burgers is to include all of the flavours of tasty Thai style chicken satay right down to serving them topped with a spicy peanut dipping sauce! In chicken satay the meat is normally marinated in a marinade before being grilled so I started out by seasoning the ground chicken for the burgers with a slight variation of the satay marinade along with an egg to help hold things together. After the chicken has been seasoned it is formed into patties and grilled and these burgers are just that easy to make! I served the burgers topped with one of my favourite guilty pleasures, a spicy peanut sauce along with some Thai inspired slaw to provide a contrast in textures though you could easily go with other options like cucumbers and onions.
Chicken Satay Burgers
All of the flavours of Thai chicken satay in burger form topped with a spicy peanut sauce and a Thai inspired slaw.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 2 stalks lemongrass, peeled & chopped
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 4 buns
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- 1/2 cup spicy peanut sauce
- 1 cup Thai slaw
- 1 handful peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Mix the chicken, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, lemongrass, shallot, garlic, ginger, chili sauce, fish sauce egg, and cilantro.
- Form the mixture into 4 patties making a small indentation in the middle.
- Brush the grill with oil, and heat it to medium.
- Grill the patties until cooked, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Assemble the burgers and enjoy.
Tip: You should be able to find the lemongrass in a local Asian grocery store. If you cannot find the lemongrass you can replace it with lemon zest.
Pad Thai Shrimp Burgers
Thai Peanut Turkey Burger
Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Moo Satay (Pork Satay) with Peanut Sauce
Curried Chicken Burger
Spicy Peanut Shrimp Sandwich with Thai Style Slaw