We are right in the middle of strawberry season here and it was about time that I did something with them other than simply snacking on them by the handful. For my first strawberry recipe I wanted to try something a little different in the form of a savoury strawberry pizza! I first came across the recipe for this strawberry pizza on The Cafe Sucre Farine last year and I had been saving it to make during the local strawberry season. This strawberry pizza is very alluring with its beautiful combination of flavour and balance of sweet, salty, tangy and spicy elements!
The base of this pizza is a strawberry sauce made from sweet strawberry jam, tangy balsamic vinegar and spicy Asian inspired sriracha. The main toppings on the pizza are grilled chicken, smoky bacon and sweet onions in addition to the strawberries and of course plenty of melted cheese. Not too long ago I tried topping a pizza with fresh ingredient after baking it and I immediately fell for it so I was really liking the fresh cilantro topping on this pizza that continues to build on the Asian undertones.
When you mix the balsamic vinegar into the strawberry jam it gets really dark and although it tastes great, it is not at all photo friendly! After being disappointed with the first set of photos I made the pizza again, yes it is that good, and this time instead of mixing the balsamic vinegar into the jam for the sauce, I reduced it to a syrup and drizzled it over the pizza after it came out of the oven along with some more sriracha because I'm into spicy heat. The flavour combinations in this savoury strawberry pizza are truly magical and you will be hooked with the first bite!
Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon
A sweet, tangy, and spicy strawberry and chicken pizza with smoked bacon and of course plenty of ooey gooey melted cheese.
Servings: makes 1 large pizza
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves/jam
- sriracha to taste
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded or cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1 pizza dough
- 4 slices smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces and cooked
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, torn
- Bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small sauce pan, reduce the heat and simmer until it reduces by half, about 4-5 minutes.
- Mix in the strawberry preserves and sriracha to taste.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of the balsamic strawberry sauce into the chicken.
- Roll out the pizza dough and spread the remaining balsamic strawberry sauce onto it.
- Sprinkle on 3/4's of the cheese, the chicken, bacon and onion followed by the remaining cheese and finally 1/2 cup the strawberries.
- Bake in a preheated 500F oven until golden brown on top, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining strawberries and the cilantro onto the pizza.
Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken and Bacon Quesadillas
Thai Chicken Pizza with Sweet Chili Sauce
Strawberry and Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad
Strawberry and Avocado Spinach Salad
Thai Chicken Pizza with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Cauliflower Pizza Crust (BBQ Chicken Pizza)
Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce
Bruschetta Chicken Pesto Tart
Zucchini Pizza Crust (with Chipotle BBQ Bacon and Grilled Corn Pizza)
Strawberry, Bacon and Goat Cheese Strata with Balsamic Syrup