For my pan seared chicken breasts in a mushroom, tarragon and mustard pan sauce dinner I want to serve it on top of something that could soak up all of that amazingly tasty sauce! One of the first things that normally comes to mind at times like this is mashed potatoes but I have really been into cauliflower lately and I have been wanting to try mashed cauliflower for a while! The mashed cauliflower is pretty much the same as mashed potatoes except that it is made with cauliflower instead of ptoatoes. You pretty much just steam the cauliflower until tender, mash it and mix in seasonings and flavours of choice. Since the sauce was the star of the show for my dinner, I wanted some pretty basic mashed cauliflower with little or no flavour to overpower the sauce so I went with a basic garlic mashed cauliflower with butter, sour cream, salt and pepper and a touch of miso paste for umami. Really you could mix in whatever flavours you wanted and you could easily do any mashed potato recipe with mashed cauliflower. I am already thinking about an aged white cheddar mashed cauliflower for next time!
Tip: You could also roast the cauliflower instead of steaming it and roasting it would give it even more flavour. (I wanted a stove top version for this dinner to keep the oven free.)
Tip: If you want a really smooth mashed cauliflower, place it in a food processor and pulse it a few times after mashing it.
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Quick and easy creamy mashed cauliflower that is a great alternative to mashed potatoes!
Servings: makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream or cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon white miso (optional)
- milk to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cauliflower and garlic in a steamer over boiling water and steam until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mash the cauliflower and garlic with a masher or puree them in a food processor.
- Mix in the butter, sour cream, miso and enough milk to bring the mashed cauliflower to the desired consistency and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spinach and Feta Mashed Cauliflower
Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
White Cheddar and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup