Up next for National Grilled Cheese month is a simple grilled cheese take on the Cuban sandwich where instead of using a Cuban bun and cooking it pressed style we use bread and butter and cook it grilled style. The Cuban sandwich consists of a really tasty combo of roast pork (preferably Cuban roast pork ), ham, pickle, mustard and plenty of melted swiss cheese. Although this is just a minor variation on the Cuban sandwich, it is a good one and one worthy of making an appearance National Grilled Cheese month; I mean you really can't go wrong taking an already amazing sandwich and wrapping it in toasted buttery bread.
Serve with Cuban mojo , a garlic and sour orange sauce, for your dipping pleasure.
Cuban Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings: 1
A tasty Cuban sandwich with roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard in grilled cheese form!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 slices of swiss (or 1/2 cup shredded)
- 2 slices roast pork or 1/4 cup pulled pork; preferably Cuban roast pork
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices pickle
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, spread the mustard on the insides, place one slice in the pan with buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the roast pork, ham, pickle, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Option: Add a tablespoon of Cuban mojo for an extra kick!
Option: Add 2 strips bacon for a pork trifecta!