Up next for National Grilled Cheese month is a simple grilled cheese take on the Cuban sandwich where instead of using a Cuban bun and cooking it pressed style we use bread and butter and cook it grilled style. The Cuban sandwich consists of a really tasty combo of roast pork (preferably Cuban roast pork ), ham, pickle, mustard and plenty of melted swiss cheese. Although this is just a minor variation on the Cuban sandwich, it is a good one and one worthy of making an appearance National Grilled Cheese month; I mean you really can’t go wrong taking an already amazing sandwich and wrapping it in toasted buttery bread.
Serve with Cuban mojo , a garlic and sour orange sauce, for your dipping pleasure.
Cuban Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A tasty Cuban sandwich with roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard in grilled cheese form!
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded (or 2 slices), room temperature
- 2 ounces roast pork (or pulled pork)
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices pickle
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, spread the mustard on the insides, place one slice in the pan with buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the roast pork, ham, pickle, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
- Grill in a pan, preheated over medium heat, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Option: Add 2 strips cooked bacon for a pork trifecta!