My next concept burger experiment of the summer is inspired by the cuban sandwich consisting of roast pork, ham, swiss cheese, pickles, mustard and/or mayonnaise. Given that the primary meat in the sandwich was pork, using ground pork to form the patties only seemed natural. Very often the roast post for the cubano sandwich is seasoned with mojo so and I included some of the flavour elements from mojo seasoning in the burgers including garlic, cilantro, lime, oregano and cumin. With that the cuban burgers were pretty much done.
One of the things that I like so much about burgers is that it is pretty much as easy as mixing a few ingredients into the ground meat, forming patties and then throwing them on the grill for a few minutes. Another thing that is nice about burgers is that even though you can make the patty itself super tasty like this one, you don’t need to stop there as you can continue on and fill the bun with even more flavours. In this case I added the sliced deli ham along with some melted swiss cheese, the pickles and some mustard. I added one final, not so secret ingredient, a roasted garlic mayo that I had made for the side that I served with the burgers and it really took them over the edge adding to an already amazing flavour combination!
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 4 cloves roasted garlic (mashed)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 hamburger buns
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 4 slices smoked ham
- 8 slices dill pickle
- Mix the garlic, cilantro, lime zest, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper into the pork.
- Form the pork into 4 patties about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Grill (or broil or pan fry) the burgers until cooked, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Mix the roasted garlic and into the mayonnaise.
- Assemble burgers and enjoy.
Cuban Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Roast Pork and Peameal Bacon Sandwich
Salsa Verde Turkey Burger
Roast Pork Sandwich with Apple Chutney
Jamaican Jerk Burgers with Pineapple and Banana Relish
Banh Mi Burgers with Vietnamese Caramel BBQ Sauce
Cuban Mojo Grilled Pork Chops
Grilled Mojo Chicken