I am always looking for tasty new dips and I am a big fan of shrimp so when I came across the idea of a taco shrimp dip on Jeanettes Healthy Living I was enthralled and the ideas started to spin in my head! There are a lot of ways that you could go with a shrimp taco dip but the one that fascinated me the most was combining spicy and smokey chipotle lime shrimp with a cool an creamy guacamole. Although I could have stopped there and the chipotle lime shrimp guacamole would be super tasty I could not stop thinking of a seven layer dip and how juicy tomatoes and sweet corn would add new layers of complexity and depth of flavour to the dip. Instead of just adding the corn raw I charred it in a cast iron skillet to bring out even more of its natural sweetness. You could serve this dip all mixed up but I decided to go with layers so that you could see all of the ingredients and I placed it in small bowls that were perfectly sized for individual servings! The cool and creamy guacamole, spicy succulent shrimp, juicy tomatoes and sweet corm are an amazing combination of flavours that combine to make a totally irresistible dip that is pretty healthy to boot!
This chipotle lime shrimp guacamole with charred corn and tomatoes just screams summer!
Chipotle Lime Shrimp and Guacamole Dip with Tomatoes and Charred Corn
Spicy and smoky chipotle lime shrimp served on a guacamole dip with diced tomatoes and charred sweet corn.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 6 ounces shrimp, peeled, deviened and diced
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup corn, cut from cob (~1 ear)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- torn cilantro for garnish (optional)
- sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- tortilla chips for dipping
- Marinate the shrimp in the mixture of the chipotle chilies, adobo sauce, lime juice, garlic and cumin in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred, about 6-8 minutes, mix it up, let it char again and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the shrimp and saute until cooked, about 2-4 minutes and set aside.
- Place the guacamole in the serving dish(es) and top with the tomato, corn, shrimp and garnishes and serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
Option: Skewer the shrimp up and grill it along with the corn on the cob for a version that would fit perfectly into any barbecue.
Blue Cheese Guacamole
7 Layer Dip
Chipotle Lime Grilled Shrimp
Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tostadas
Corn and Cotija Guacamole (aka Esquites Guacamole)
Chipotle Lime Grilled Shrimp and Corn Guacamole Mini Tostadas
Looking for more tasty game day party food recipes?