It's time for another comforting soup recipe to stave off the chill weather and this time is a creamy parmesan sundried tomato and spinach tortellini cauliflower soup! When I hear the word creamy in a soup I immediately think of copious amounts of heavy/whipping cream but in this soup I get the creaminess by using pureed cauliflower which gets things nice and creamy while keeping it light and healthy! Up next is the sundried tomatoes and I use a jar of oil packed sundried tomatoes where I puree half of them to infuse the soup with their flavour and I slice the remaining tomatoes so that you gets hits of their intense flavour when chewing on them! Of course there is plenty of freshly grated parmesan melted into the soup along with wilted spinach and fresh basil to finish it off. Whether you are looking for a comforting of soup to shake off the chill of a cold day or a soul warming bowl to curl up in your favourite chair with at the end of a long day this creamy parmesan sundried tomato and spinach tortellini cauliflower soup is just what you are looking for!
Start with creamy parmesan sundried tomato cauliflower soup, add spinach and basil followed by tortellini and sundried tomatoes! Yum!
Feel free to omit the tortellini for a lighter and smoother soup!
Creamy Parmesan Sundried Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Cauliflower Soup
A quick, easy and super tasty creamy parmesan and sundered tomato cauliflower soup with spinach, tortellini and basil!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar sundried tomatoes, drained and 1/2 pureed and 1/2 sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 8 ounces spinach (optionally coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth cauliflower bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered until the cauliflower is tender about 10 minutes.
- Puree the cauliflower in a blender and return to pan. (Or use an immersion blender in the pan.)
- Add the tortellini along with the pureed and sliced sundried tomatoes and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in the parmesan, spinach and basil and cook until the cheese has melted and the spinach and basil has wilted before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and
Option: Use the oil from the sundried tomato jar in step one and save the remaining oil for use in other recipes because it is infused with the sundried tomato flavour!.