I have been coming across the this smashed chickpea and avocado salad sandwich on pinterest for a while now and given that both avocados and chickpeas are among my favourite foods it was only a matter of time before I made them! These sandwiches could not be simpler, you basically just take chickpeas and an avocado, (s)mash them together and place the mixture between two slices of (whole/multi-grain) bread and you have a light, healthy and tasty meal! Of course the avocado and chickpea salad is seasoned with lemon or lime juice along with salt which is such an amazing combo with both avocados and chickpeas! From there you can add things like onion, chili peppers, sun dried tomatoes, etc. You can fill out the sandwich a bit with salad greens, sliced tomato, cheese, etc. These smashed chickpea and avocado sandwich are such perfect quick, easy, light, tasty and healthy sandwiches!
It's great open-faced as well as with that second slice of bread!
Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes Servings: 4
A fresh, cool, creamy and light smashed chickpea and avocado sandwich!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, from 1/2 cup dry)
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons green or red onion, finely sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 8 slices bread (optionally lightly toasted)(gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 cup baby spinach or arugula or other greens
- Smash/mash the chickpeas and avocado with a potato masher or a fork, mix in the onion, lime juice and salt to taste
Option: replace the lemon juice with lime juice and the parsley with cilantro.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeno pepper for heat.
Option: Add sliced tomato to the sandwiches!
Option: Add cheese like feta, parmesan, fresh mozzarella, burrata, etc.