This is a super easy way to enjoy some spring asparagus, stuffed in chicken along with sun-dried tomatoes and gruyere cheese! Chicken breasts are butterflied, opened, stuffed with the filling, folded closed to be sealed shut with toothpicks. The chicken is seasoned and pan-fried (or grilled) until lightly golden brown and then cooked until the cheese has melted and is oozing out! You can change this recipe up by changing the cheese, swapping the sundried tomatoes with something else, like roasted red peppers, sauteed mushrooms, etc. or even change up the seasoning! (I also like to use a cajun seasoning here!) This recipe is perfect for cooking outside on/in the barbecue or grill and it also works great on/in the stove/oven!
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
Chicken stuffed with asparagus, sundried tomatoes and plenty of melted cheese!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 2 ounces gruyere, sliced or shredded
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 12 stalks asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Lay the butterflied chicken down with the cut side up, sprinkle on the cheese, and sundried tomatoes, along with the asparagus before folding one side back over and sealing it up with toothpicks.
- Season the outside of the chicken with the combination of the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium heat, add the chicken and lightly brown on both sides, gently flipping in between, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Either: Transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-25 minutes, OR cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
Option: Use another cheese or combination of cheeses, such as mozzarella and/or parmesan.
Option: Use cajun seasoning instead of the spices above!
Option: Replace the sundried tomatoes with cooked bacon!
Option: Cook on the grill or in the barbecue instead of on the stove/oven!
Option: Hit the chicken with a splash of lemon juice at the end for a bit of brightness.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, Asparagus and Pistachio Pesto and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Bacon Wrapped Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken with Balsamic Drizzle and Basil
Pizza Stuffed Chicken
Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken
Sun Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
Bacon Wrapped Guacamole Stuffed Chicken