One of the things that I like most about Spring are all of the fresh vegetables that start to come in and all of the tasty vegetable soups that can be made with them. It seems only fitting to welcome the Spring vegetable soup season in with an asparagus soup. I had recently come across a new idea for an asparagus soup on Cara’s Cravings that included using cottage cheese rather than cream to make a creamy asparagus soup . I really like cottage cheese and I am always looking for new ways to use it so I was immediately sold on the idea of using it in a soup. Luckily there were still ramps (or wild leeks) at the farmers market and I also found some morel mushrooms and I was all ready for a creamy asparagus soup with ramps and morel mushrooms. There was just one last thing to add to complete the soup, miso. I am a big fan of miso and I like to add a bit to soups to add a new depth of flavour to them. The creamy asparagus soup with ramps and morel mushrooms turned out great! What an amazing flavour combination and a great way to welcome in Spring. I really liked the creamy texture that the cottage cheese gave the soup and despite the fact that I accidentally pureed all of the morel mushrooms they added a great flavour. This soup is definitaly a keeper and I will be making it again next Spring.
Creamy Asparagus Soup with Morel Mushrooms and Ramps
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 2 ramps (cleaned and chopped)
- 1 pound asparagus (cleaned and trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 handful morel mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon miso
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the ramps and saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, morel mushrooms, cover with the vegetable broth and season with pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the asparagus is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the cottage cheese and milk.
- Puree the the soup to the desired consistency.
- Return the pan to the stove and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and mix in the miso.