Ginger is a fabulous ingredient working in both savoury and sweet dishes! One of my favourites is the classic gingerbread cookie and I also really enjoy a simple ginger bread loaf or cake! This gingerbread loaf is so easy to make! It’s a really simple quick bread where you mix the wet ingredients, mix the dry ingredients, mix them together, pour them into the pan and bake! For the wet ingredients in this bread I like to go with a combination of butter, yogurt and apple sauce which keeps the cake fairly light, super moist and tender. The flavour comes from powdered ginger along with chunks of candied ginger with a side of spices. I like to top this bread off with a fresh lemon icing and it’s great for dessert, snack or breakfast, especially over the holidays!
Freshly sliced and slathered with melting butter!
Gingerbread Loaf with Lemon Icing
A light, moist and tender gingerbread loaf with chucks of candied ginger topped with a lemon glaze!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup candied ginger, diced
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered/icing/confectioners sugar
- Mix the sugar, yogurt, apple sauce, butter and molasses followed by the eggs.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the well until just incorporated before mixing in the ginger and pouring the batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until lightly golden brown on top and a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 45-60 minutes.
- Let cool before drizzling on the mixture of the lemon juice and slicing!
Option: Add diced pears!
Option: Add dried cranberries!
Option: Add white chocolate chips!