Moussaka is one of my favourite ways to enjoy eggplant and the flavours also work well in pasta! This pasta version of moussaka has all of the flavours of the original dish with a lot less effort! The main ingredients are the ground lamb (or beef) and eggplant in a tomato based sauce seasoned with onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, and a hint of cinnamon. Once the sauce is made all that’s left is to toss it with cooked pasta (I like rigatoni) and enjoy! It’s amazing garnished with crumbled feta and fresh parsley and/or mint.
Greek Style Eggplant Pasta (aka Moussaka Pasta)
A simple pasta inspired by the flavours of moussaka with lamb and eggplant tomato sauce!
- 8 ounces pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound ground lean lamb (or beef)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can pureed tomatoes (or marinara sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley (and/or mint, basil), chopped
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package, reserving some to the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the eggplant and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes, before setting aside.
- Cook the meat in the pan, breaking it apart as it cooks, until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes, before draining any excess grease.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, oregano, cinnamon, and allspice and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the eggplant, tomatoes, mix, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the pasta, along with enough of the pasta cooking water to get the sauce to the desired consistency, mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: Serve garnished with crumbled feta.
Pasta alla Norma
Eggplant Parmesan Boats
Involtini di Melanzane (Eggplant Rolls)
Tagliatelle Short-rib Bolognese
Eggplant Parmesan (Melanzane alla Parmigiana)
Eggplant Wrapped Kebabs Baked in Tomato Sauce
Melitzanes Papoutsakia (Stuffed Eggplant)