It just wouldn’t be the holidays without some form of shortbread and one of the things that I like so much about shortbread, other than its buttery melt in your mouth goodness, is that it is easy to change things up by adding different flavours. I found this recipe for lime ‘meltaway’ shortbread cookies on use real butter a while ago and I had been itching to make them. With the dull and dreary winter weather setting in, it seemed like the perfect time to pull out some limes to ward off the gloominess, even if just for a few moments. There is just something magical about dusting shortbread in powdered sugar from its reminder of and hope for a white Christmas to the way that it quickly melts in you mouth delivering its sweetness. Although these cookies can be a bit messy, I recommend using a plate and napkins, they are certainly worth it! The initial hit of sweetness gives way to the buttery shortbread and then lime flavour comes through finishing off everything nicely.
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 limes (zest)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- Cream the butter with the powdered sugar.
- Beat in the lime zest, lime juice and vanilla.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Roll the dough out into a 1 1/4 inch log.
- Wrap in plastic and let chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Slice the dough into 1/4 in thick slices and place them on a baking sheet, 1 inch apart from each other.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until just lightly golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 4 minutes.
- Dredge cookies in powdered sugar to coat.
Meyer Lemon Bars
Key Lime Pie
Maple Pecan Shortbread
Orange Cookies Dipped in Chocolate
Almond Crescent Cookies
Chocolate and Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies
Peppermint Triple Chocolate Shortbread
Lemon Curd White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies