Shortbread is one of my favourite cookies and it’s so easy to make! At it’s base it’s made with butter, sugar and flour! It’s that simple! The butter, sugar and flour are combined, formed into the desired shapes and baked until lightly golden brown! Shortbread is a little dry when you bite into it, but then the magic kicks in and it starts to melt in your mouth releasing all of the amazing flavours of the butter along with the sweetness of the sugar! This shortbread recipe is just a little bit different than normal in that the butter and the sugar are whipped/beaten/mixed more than usually, a good 5 minutes, which adds a nice amount of air to the shortbread and all of that air in the cookies means they melt into your mouth even better! I like to just scoop the dough and plop in on the baking sheet, and I like the small snowball like look that it gives them! You can also form them into balls and press them into festive sprinkles for the holidays!
Cornstarch can be used as a replacement for some of the flour (in equal amounts) and it gives the shortbread a smoother texture.
Light and airy whipped shortbread that melts into your mouth!
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners/powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat the butter and sugar for 5-6 minutes before mixing in the vanilla.
- Gently mix in the mixture of the flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Form the dough into the desired cookie shapes and place on a parchment paper (or silicon mat) lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the bottom just starts to brown, about 12 minutes, before removing from the oven and letting cool completely on the baking sheet.
Almond Crescent Cookies
Maple Pecan Shortbread
Orange Shortbread Dipped in Chocolate
Stilton and Rosemary Shortbread
Gorgonzola and Pistachio Shortbread
Bacon Maple Shortbread
Chocolate Cherry Balsamic Goat Cheese Shortbread
Chocolate Orange Rosemary Shortbread