While I was enjoying a lime meltaway I was vaguely reminded of another cookie that was similar but it was an orange cookies. After diligently searching through my many bookmarked cookie recipes I finally found this recipe for orange cookies dipped in chocolate on use real butter . These cookies get their orange flavour from no less than three different sources including orange zest, orange juice and candied orange peel. When you take these already great sounding cookies and you dip them in chocolate they get even better and I could not resist adding them to this years holiday cookie platter. The recipe for these cookies is pretty similar to many other recipes for short bread where you mix the ingredients, chill the dough and then slice and bake it. Despite that fact that they take a bit of time with bringing the butter to room temperature and then chilling the dough, these cookies are really easy to make. The orange flavour certainly comes though well in these cookies and the bits of candied orange peel add a particularly nice texture. There is just something magical about the orange and chocolate flavour combination and it certainly works well with there cookies!
Orange Cookies Dipped in Chocolate
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup candied orange peel (chopped)
- 1 orange (zest)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- Cream the butter and the sugar.
- Mix the flour and the salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until it starts forming larger clumps.
- Mix in the candied orange, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla extract.
- Form the dough into the shape that you want, wrap it in plastic and let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour. (I did a rectangular log but you could also do a circular log.)
- Cut the log into 1/4 inch thick slices and place on a parchment lines baking pan with one inch of space between them.
- Bake in a preheated 325F/170C oven until they just start to turn lightly golden brown on top, about 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Dip the cookies into the chocolate and place on a sheet of parchment paper and let cool until the chocolate sets. (Feel free to chill them in the fridge to help it set quicker.)
Chocolate and Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies
Meyer Lemon Bars
Mayan Orange Brownies
Orange Chocolate Cream Cheese Mousse
Almond Crescent Cookies
Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Bacon Maple Shortbread
Peppermint Triple Chocolate Shortbread
Chocolate Cherry Balsamic Goat Cheese Shortbread
Chocolate Orange Rosemary Shortbread
Soft and Chewy Lemon Cheesecake Cookies