Not too long ago I was trying out a new ramen joint which happened to have a cafe up front and as I was walking out I noticed some green tea brownies that I just could not pass without trying! Green tea is a favourite of mine and often times when I indulge and have a latte, I will go for the green tea latte, so I grabbed a green tea latte and a green tea brownie for an after ramen treat! The green tea brownie was really good but I could not help but thinking that I could make my own, that they would be better, that they would be a lot cheaper and more convenient so I decided to do it! Matcha is a powdered form of green tea and the obvious place to start and since we are talking brownies here, chocolate came to mind and white chocolate and matcha is a fabulous flavour combo so I decided to add melted white chocolate to the batter. I was envisioning a fudge like brownie texture so I went with a basic fudge-y blondie recipe that I knew was super easy to make and I planned on finishing them off with a light dusting of matcha powder! These matcha green tea white chocolate blondies are even better than I dreamed and now I came make them whenever I desire!
Matcha Green Tea White Chocolate Blondies
Fudge-y, soft and moist matcha green tea white chocolate blondies!
- 8 ounces white chocolate, chopped or chips
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup, packed, light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 heaping tablespoon matcha + 1 teaspoon for dusting
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave (30 seconds at a time) or in a double boiler.
- Cream the butter and sugars, beat in the eggs, vanilla and salt before mixing in the melted chocolate.
- Mix the mixture of flour and matcha into the batter and pour it into a greased, foil lined, 8 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until a toothpick pushed into the centre comes out mostly clean, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool, slice and dust lightly with matcha powder by placing the powder in a fine mesh sieve and lightly tapping it while holding it over the blondies.
Option: Add 1 cup white chocolate chips/chunks!
Option: Add 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts!