Fresh summer zucchini is everywhere and it’s always fun to make zucchini boats, aka stuffed zucchini! The basic idea is that you slice zucchini in half lengthwise, hollow it out, stuff it with a tasty filling and bake it until the zucchini is tender! This recipe uses a Mexican themed filling with taco seasoned beef, onions, tomatoes, beans, and corn along with the chopped up zucchini that was removed. The beef mixture is cooked and then stuffed into the zucchini ‘shells’ before sprinkling on cheese and baking until the zucchini is tender! Although it takes some time to make these Mexican style stuffed zucchini, they are easy to make, tasty great and they are light and healthy! What and amazing way to enjoy some summer zucchini!
Mexican Stuffed Zucchini
Zucchini stuffed with a Mexican style filling with seasoned beef, tomatoes, beans and corn, all covered in melted cheese!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or 1/2 package)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (or salsa)
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh or thawed)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup cheese (cheddar and/or monterey jack), shredded
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and hollow them out (using a spoon or melon baller) until the zucchini is about ¼ inch thick, reserving and chopping the zucchini from the inside.
- Cook the beef and onion in a large skill until the beef is cooked through, before draining off any excess grease.
- Add the chopped zucchini and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and water and cook, mixing, until the seasoning is mixed in evenly and the liquid has cooked off, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, and corn and cook for a minute before mixing in the cilantro and turning off the heat.
- Place the beef mixture into the hollowed out zucchini halves and place them on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the zucchini is tender, about 30-40 minutes.
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini topped with Melted Cheddar, Bacon and an Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing
Mushroom and Zucchini Enchiladas
Zucchini Stuffed with Italian Sausage and Cheese
Eggplant Parmesan Boats
Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Corn and Zucchini Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Pepperoni Pizza Spaghetti Squash
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Mexican Quinoa Salad
Hi Kevin! This recipe sounds so good! Wondering if you used Bacon (step 7) in it, and if so, how much? I’m thinking the “bacon” should be “bake” 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!