For some reason peameal bacon has been on my mind a lot recently and it had been a while since I last picked some up. (Peameal bacon is a back bacon that is brined and rolled in peameal or cornmeal.) I also had my newly minted batch of new and improved
that I was just itching to use. Salty bacon and spicy kimchi are a great flavour combination and I knew that peameal bacon would be just as amazing. The rest of the sandwich sort of just fell into place. I wanted to include some greens and with the Korean flavours that were already going in the sandwich the
shredded romaine in a Korean sesame vinaigrette
was a natural choice and I could not resist adding some cheese. When I am making my standard
peameal bacon sandwich
I always like to include some mayo and in this case a gochujang mayo sounded perfect. I am not sure why but, I was associating this sandwich with breakfast so a lightly toasted English muffin was in order and since kimchi can be a bit juicy I caramelized it so that the muffin would not get soggy. With all of the spicy flavours in the sandwich I figured that some cool and creamy avocado and black beans would finish off the breakfast nicely.
Peameal Bacon and Kimchi Breakfast Muffin
- 8 slices peameal bacon
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup kimchi (drained and chopped)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 4 English muffins (lightly toasted)
- 1 cup shredded romaine in a korean sesame vinaigrette
- 1 cup shredded jack and cheddar cheese
- Cook the peameal bacon in a pan and set aside.
- Add the oil to the pan and saute the kimchi in it until slightly caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix the mayo and gochujang
- Assemble sandwiches and enjoy.