I am a big fan of grilled chicken dishes in the summer and this pollo asado is amazing! The star of this recipe is the tasty marinade which consists of citrus (orange and lime), guajillo peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika and achiote. The chicken is marinated in the sauce before being grilled to perfection! I like to enjoy this as is, or in tacos, salads, burritos, etc.
Achiote powder my be challenging to find in some areas, though you can order it online; if you cannot find it you can omit it. Achiote paste is generally more available and, although it contains other spices, you can use it as well.
Grilled chicken marinated in citrus, garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano, that’s perfect in salads, burritos, tacos, etc.!
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 guajillo peppers, soaked *
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon achiote powder **
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Puree everything except the chicken in a food processor.
- Marinate the chicken, covered, in the fridge, in the marinade for 20 minutes to overnight.
- Shake off any excess marinade and grill over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 4-6 minutes per side, before setting aside to rest for 5 minutes before enjoying!
Note: **Achiote powder, or annatto powder, is ground annatto seeds that is used mostly for the colour that it adds to the chicken but it also has a mild flavour. You can omit it if you cannot find it. You can also use (1 tablespoon) achiote paste instead of the achiote powder, but the paste also includes other seasonings so it will not be exactly the same.
Tip: I like to reserve 1/4 of the marinade, before using it to maridate, to baste the chicken with as it grills.
Option: Add some orange and lime zest!
Option: Add 2 tablespoons cilantro to the marinade!
Peruvian Grilled Chicken
Grilled Mojo Chicken
Grilled Chermoula Chicken
Yakitori (Japanese Grilled Chicken Skewers)
Lemongrass Grilled Chicken
Grilled Chicken Shawarma
Za’atar Grilled Chicken
Sriracha Honey Lime Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Salad
Carne Asada with Avocado Salsa Verde