The strawberries at the grocery stores are starting to dwindle and the farmers market is starting to fill up with other local, in season berries and fruits but I still want to get a few more strawberry recipes in. I really could not let strawberry season pass me by without making strawberry shortcake at least once, I mean it is pretty much the quintessential strawberry dish and it just just screams happy summer days! Luckily strawberry shortcake is super easy to make even if you are making the shortcake from scratch! It is just as easy as mixing the five ingredients in the shortcake dough, forming it into your favourite shapes, baking it for 15 minutes and topping it with whipped cream and sliced fresh, ripe strawberries. All said and done and you could be enjoying a strawberry induced bliss on pillowy clouds of light and fluffy shortcake in less than 30 minutes!
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:15 minutes Total Time:25 minutes Servings: 4
A summer classic with light and fluffy shortcake topped with macerated strawberries and whipped cream.
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cold, grated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Mix the strawberries and sugar and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to a few hours.
- Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Mix in the grated butter with your hands until it forms fine crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough is formed.
- Split the dough into 4 equal parts and place them on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 400F/200C preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Whip the whipping cream and sugar.
- Cut the shortcake in half top with the strawberries and whipped cream and enjoy!