Potato ‘tots’ are a side dish where shredded potatoes are formed into small cylinders and deep fried until crispy and this is a zucchini inspired version. Instead of using shredded potatoes this recipe starts out with shredded zucchini that’s combined with egg and bread crumbs, which help bind the mixture to allow it to hold together, before being baked until golden brown and crispy. Zucchini generally has more liquid in it that potatoes so it needs to be squeezed to help remove as much as possible and the breadcrumbs and flour help absorb any leftover liquid and still allows the tots to hold their shape! You can make basic zucchini tots and you can also add flavours! I like to add cheese, such as cheddar cheese or parmesan, etc. along with Italian seasoning, or ranch seasoning, or taco seasoning, or cajun seasoning. Zucchini tots make for a great side dish or snack and I like to serve it with gochujang ketchup (1 tablespoon gochujang mixed into 1/2 cup ketchup) to dip them in!
You can either beep fry the zucchini tots or bake them!
You could also look at zucchini tots as baked zucchini fritters with a slightly different shape.
Quick easy and tasty cheddar zucchini tots, aka baked zucchini fritters!
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded and squeezed to drain excess liquid (about 2 small zucchini)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything, form into 2 tablespoon tots, balls, discs, etc, and place on a greased baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 425F/220C oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Option: Use a different cheese!
Option: Change up the seasoning! Use ranch seasoning, or taco seasoning, or cajun seasoning, etc.
Note: In the photos I served this with a gochujang ketchup! (1 tablespoon gochujang mixed into 1/2 cup ketchup)