Zucchini has to be one of my favorite summer vegetables and this weekend I was in luck as the farmers market was overflowing with them! Of all of the many things that there are to do with zucchini, the one that I keep coming back to time and time again is the classic zucchini bread which I end up making at least once every summer. The farmers market was also full of fresh local blueberries that I could not resist picking up and I knew what I was going to have to use them in, a blueberry zucchini bread! For the recipe, I started out with my basic zucchini bread recipe and added blueberries. Nice and simple eh? I really enjoy this zucchini bread recipe as it always comes out nice and light a moist and good! Some of the things that I like about this recipe include the use of the whole wheat flour and the vanilla yogurt to cut down on the amount of oil that is needed. I tend to use a mix of green and yellow zucchini to give the cake a nice mixture of colours and this year, with the addition of the blueberries the bread was even more colourful that usual. This blueberry zucchini bread is a perfect celebration of summers bounty and I am looking forward to enjoying it for breakfasts for the rest of the week!
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini (grated, squeezed and drained)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- Mix the zucchini, sugar, oil, yogurt and egg in a bowl.
- Mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- Mix in the blueberries and pecans.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 50-70 minutes.