With all of the cookies and other sweets during the holidays it is always nice to change things up a bit and go with something savoury! You can never go wrong with a hot cheese dip whether you are throwing a party or just wtching the game and I knew exactly which hot cheese dip that I wanted to try at my next party. I came across this chorizo queso fundido on Smells Like Home a while ago and I have been wanting to make it ever since. I mean just look at the ingredients, with all of that melted cheese, spicy chorizo and even a hit of tequila it was bound to be awesaomely addictive! I did make one important change to the recipe be using fresh Mexican style chorizo rather than cured Spanish style chorizo as I have really been into it lately and I knew that it would work well in the dip. This chorizo queso fundido is definitely a keeper and it will dissapper faster than you can blink so eat your share while still in the kitchen or better yet hide out in a locked room; you didn't really want hear any more about aunt Thema's warts anyways.
Chorizo Queso Fundido
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4
A hot melted cheese dip filled spicy chorizo sausage and a hit of tequila.
- 1/2 pound chorizo, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup tequila or Mexican beer (optional)
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Cook the chorizo in a pan over medium heat, breaking it apart as you go, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the onion, jalapeno and tomato and cook until the onions are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tequila, deglaze the pan and cook until most of the moisture is gone, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and cook, stirring, until it melts, about 2-3 minutes.