In general I prefer savoury breakfasts to sweet breakfasts and this Mexican style breakfast egg and chorizo casserole is the perfect example of a savoury breakfast! Breakfast egg casseroles are so easy to make and this one is no exception. They start out with a lot of eggs, 12 for a 9×13 inch baking pan, along with a dairy, such as cottage cheese, and then whatever other filler and flavour ingredients that you desire! This casserole starts out with tasty Mexican style fresh pork chorizo sausage that is cooked along with onions and garlic. The sausage is added to the eggs along with cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, green onions and cilantro before being poured into a pan and baked until set. This is one of the tastiest breakfast casseroles around and I like to eat it both when its still warm from the oven or straight from the fridge as leftovers, which can also be warmed up. I like to serve topped with salsa, avocado and our cream!
Mexican Breakfast Egg and Chorizo Casserole
A tasty Mexican style egg breakfast casserole with spicy chorizo, cheddar and jalapenos! Easy, tasty and satisfying!
- 12 ounces Mexican style chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced or diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Cook the sausage and onions in a pan over medium-high heat until cooked, breaking the sausage into pieces as it cooks, before adding the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix all of the ingredients and pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking pan and bake a preheated 350F/180C oven until the eggs are set and the top is lightly golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before slicing and serving!
Option: Serve topped with sliced avocado, and/or salsa, sour cream, queso fresco, etc.
Option: Add extras like diced bell peppers, tomatoes, black beans, etc.
Chorizo Queso Fundido
Breakfast Queso Fundido
Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Nachos
Breakfast Chorizo Quesadilla Topped with a Fried Egg
Chorizo Scrambled Eggs Breakfast Tacos
Chorizo and Scrambled Egg Burrito
Chorizo and Potato Tostadas with Fried Eggs
Asparagus and Artichoke Breakfast Casserole
Zucchini and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Zucchini and Green Chile Egg Breakfast Casserole
Asparagus, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Egg Breakfast Casserole
Ham and Cheese Egg Casserole
Ham and Egg Breakfast Quesadillas
Chipotle Bacon and Egg Quesadillas
Zucchini and Corn Egg Casserole
Pepperoni Pizza Egg Casserole
Which store do you buy your chorizo from?
I usually get mine at a butcher shop but some brands have them in the fresh sausage section at regular grocery stores. You can also make your own with ground pork: https://www.closetcooking.com/mexican-chorizo/
Can this be made / mixed a few days ahead of time so that when guests are in town it just has to be put in the oven?
Yes you can.
Suzi McIntyremexicsn says
Sounds phenominal… Can’t wait to try. Not tonight tho. Testing new types of wine.😋😋😋😋🍷🍷