Today is the Lunar New Year, also sometimes called the Chinese New Year, and since it's a work night I thought that I would share a recipe for a tasty, quick and easy beef and pepper stir-fry! This steak and pepper stir-fry takes only 20 minutes to make, that's just as much time as it takes to cook the rice to serve it with, so it's definitely a great meal for a busy work night! Despite being nice and easy to make this recipe is just packed with flavour starting with the usual suspects including soy sauce, garlic and ginger with some chili sauce for heat and a finish of sesame oil for those amazing aromatics! I also like to throw in a not so secret ingredient that adds something special and right now my favourite is sweet soy sauce which has a caramel-y sweet flavour that just makes the dish shine but other equally great ingredients include hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar or even molasses; so change it up for something new every time! No matter how you make it this quick and easy beef and pepper stir-fry is sure to please!
Enjoy the Lunar New Year!
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
A tasty Chinese style beef and pepper stir-fry that is so quick and easy and so much better than takeout that you will never go back!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound steak (sirloin or flank), sliced thinly
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (gluten-free or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce* (use gluten-free substitute below for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon chill sauce such as sambal oelek (or to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup beef broth (or water)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the beef and stir-fry until just cooked, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add the peppers and stir-fry until just tender-crisp, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mixture of the soy sauce, sweet soy sauce sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, garlic, ginger and the mixture of the cornstarch and water to the pan and cook until it thickens a bit, about a minute.
- Remove from heat, mix in the sesame oil and serve over white rice or noodles, quinoa, etc. garnished with the green onions.
Option: Replace the sweet soy sauce with hoisin sauce (gluten-free for gluten-free), oyster sauce (gluten-free for gluten-free), brown sugar or even molasses for different flavours!