Saint Patrick's Day is right around the corner and with the chilly weather I figured it was the perfect time to make a nice big pot of corned beef and cabbage soup! This is a super simple soup that relies on the flavour of the corned beef which is slowly braised until it's melt in your mouth tender and oh so good! After the beef I load this soup up with veggies including the standard onions, carrots and celery in addition to plenty of cabbage, which goes so well with the corned beef. I like to fill out this stew with potatoes or cauliflower, celeriac or even barley making for one hearty comforting meal! This Saint Patrick's Day curl up with a bowl of corned beef and cabbage soup!
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 2 hours Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes Servings: 8
A simple and tasty corned beef and cabbage soup!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (or beef broth or ham broth)
- 1 pound raw corned beef in pickling juices, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, corned beef, potatoes and cabbage, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the beef is tender, about 1-2 hours.
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement step 1 before throwing everything into the slow cooker and cooking on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.
Option: Replace the potatoes with celeriac or cauliflower.
Option: Add 1/2 cup barley!
Option: Add a splash of fish sauce!
Nutrition Facts Provided by Napier West