Every once in a while I won’t finish off a bunch of bananas before they are past their prime and when that happens I let then sit on the counter until they are over-ripe before throwing them into the freezer to await being used in a recipe like this caramel banana upside down cake with chocolate chips! This is basically a banana bread recipe done in cake form using two kinds of bananas, over ripe bananas in the cake batter and sliced bananas on the top! The bananas in the batter help keep the cake nice and moist and tender while adding the banana aroma and flavour and the sliced bananas on the top look all sorts of good! In addition to the bananas this cake is special because the banana slices are placed on top of a layer of melted butter and brown sugar which turn into a caramel sauce while the cake bakes and when you flip it over after baking all of that caramel sauce is on the top, dripping down the sides of the cake! Yum! I also like to add chocolate chips, which might be over kill, but I don’t think so. I like to enjoy this cake either as a treat or dessert or as a breakfast; what a great way to kick off the day!
Caramel Banana Upside Down Cake with Chocolate Chips
A moist and tender upside down chocolate chip banana cake smothered in caramel!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Melt the butter into the brown sugar in a sauce pan before pouring it into a greased cake pan (8 inch square or 9 inch diameter) and covering with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and in a large bowl.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar in another bowl, before beating in the eggs followed by the sour cream and bananas.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry before mixing in the chocolate chips and pouring into the pan on top of the sliced bananas.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until a tooth pick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, flip it onto a plate and enjoy!
Carrot Cake with Dulce de Leche Cream Cheese Frosting
Caramel Soaked Almond Cake
Chocolate Chip and Sour Cream Banana Bread
Bananas Foster Pancakes
Strawberry Sour Cream Bread
Nutella and Caramelized Banana Sandwich
Nutella and Banana Sandwich
Sour Cream Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Caramel Apple Bread
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Latte Bread
Sticky Toffee Pudding