When I made the chicken mole earlier on in the week, I served it on a bed of refried beans and these chipotle squash fritters. I had some squash left over in the fridge that I wanted to use and I figured that the sweetness of the squash would be a nice counterbalance to the thick and spicy mole sauce . Making these chipotle quash fritters to go with the chicken mole was not enough to finish the squash off and I was rather glad as I really enjoyed the sweet and spicy combo so I made them again and served them by themselves with some mole sauce. There is just something so addictive about crispy fried fritters and these ones with smoky chipotle chilies would go well topped with many different salsas. If you are not a big fan of squash or can’t find it at the moment it would be easy to swap in sweet potato instead.
Chipotle Squash Fritters
Sweet squash with smoky hot chipotles in adobo fried up until golden brown and crispy.
- 2 cups squash such as butternut or pumpkin, grated
- 1 chipotle in adobo, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/2+ cup flour, I like to use whole wheat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Mix the squash, chipotle in adobo, green onion, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper, egg, and enough flour to hold everything together flour.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.