Pasta is one of my favourite dishes and I am currently crushing on this creamy roasted red pepper and Italian sausage pasta! The sauce is simply amazing with a base of tomatoes and roasted red peppers with spicy Italian sausage that’s seasoned with onion, garlic, fennel, oregano and a splash of balsamic vinegar. The finishing touches on the sauce are cream, parmesan cheese and fresh basil! This sauce doesn’t take much time to make and you can easily cook pasta while you make the sauce making for a quick and tasty meal!
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Pasta
Pasta in a tasty tomato and roasted sweet red pepper sauce with spicy Italian sausage, cream and plenty of parmesan!
- 8 ounces of pasta (such as rigatoni) (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes (whole, diced, crushed or pureed)
- 3 roasted red peppers (jarred or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/3 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/3 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons basil, thinly sliced
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, puree the tomatoes and roasted red peppers in a food processor and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the sausage and onion and cook until cooked, breaking the sausage apart as it cooks, before draining any excess grease.
- Add the garlic, fennel, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and roasted red peppers, balsamic vinegar, and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and parmesan and mix well.
- Mix in the cooked and drained pasta and basil and enjoy!