Mushrooms are one of my favourite foods and this recipe is an amazing way to enjoy them! This dish is so easy to make, it uses whole mushrooms, so no slicing, and they are just quickly cooked before making the tasty sauce! The sauce is pretty simple with a base of cream seasoned with parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, which are just packed with flavour, not to mention the Italian seasoning! Baby spinach and fresh parsley finish off the dish. I like to add a hit of white miso paste for its umami and salty flavour along with a pinch of red pepper flakes for a hint of heat. These creamy Tuscan mushrooms take very little time to make so they are great as a side for pretty much any meal!
This dish works great as a side, served over a protein (like chicken), or as a meal!
Creamy Tuscan Mushrooms
Whole mushrooms in a creamy parmesan sauce with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil*
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups baby spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter and heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the cream, sun dried tomatoes, parmesan, Italian seasoning, and baby spinach, bring to a simmer and cook until the cheese has melted into the sauce and the spinach has wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, garnish with parsley and enjoy!
Option: Replace some of the cream with broth and/or milk.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso paste.