Phyllo is a pastry that is paper thin, and when it’s brushed with oil (or butter) and baked it gets golden brown, crispy and good! You can typically find phyllo dough in the frozen section of the grocery store and its’s as easy to use as thawing it out, brushing it with oil and baking it. It’s great for using for crusts for flat dishes like pizzas, flat bread, etc. and it’s also a fantastic crust for pies. It’s used in layered dishes like baklava and a it’s also easy to use to make pockets! This recipe is for a phyllo pocket/packet that’s filled with feta cheese that’s baked until golden brown and crispy on the outside and the feta gets all nice and warm on the inside before being drenched in warm honey! The perfect combination of sweet and savoury! These crispy phyllo wrapped baked feta packets with honey are an amazing appetizer for any occasion!
Crispy Phyllo Wrapped Baked Feta with Honey
Warm baked feta wrapped in layers of crispy, golden brown phyllo pastry and drizzled with honey!
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces feta, 1/2 inch thick slices
- 4 tablespoons honey (optionally warmed)
- Lightly brush the entire sheet of phyllo pastry with olive oil on both sides before wrapping a slice of feta up in it and placing it on a baking sheet. Repeat for remaining phyllo and feta. (You should get 2-4+ layers of phyllo when the sheet is wrapped up around the feta.)
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the phyllo is lightly golden brown and crispy, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the honey over the phyllo packets and enjoy while warm!
Option: Add a flavour to the honey, such as: lemon, orange, cinnamon, rose water, thyme, lavender, etc.
Kanafeh/Künefe (Sweet Cheese Pastry)
Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
Savoury Pumpkin Pie (Kolokithopita)
Strawberry Goat Cheese Banitsa
Galaktoboureko (Greek Custard Pie)
Agginaropita (Greek Artichoke Pie)
Kolokithopita (Greek Zucchini Pie)
Lamb Exohiko (Lamb, Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Phyllo Parcels)