Potato salads are one of my go-to recipes for summer and this French style potato salad is one of my favourites! When I think about potato salads I normally think about the classic creamy, mayonnaise based, potato salads but you can use pretty much any kind of dressing or sauce. This potato salad is dressed in an oil, vinegar and mustard vinaigrette, which is light and tangy! The main ingredients in this salad are the cooked and cooled potatoes, the dressing and plenty of fresh herbs, I like a combination of parsley dill and green onions, but you can use your favourite herbs. Optional ingredients include diced shallots and cornichons, aka pickles! This French style potato salad is the perfect side for any summer meal!
A light and tasty mayo-less potato salad!
French Potato Salad
A simple French style potato salad in a dijon mustard vinaigrette with plenty of fresh herbs!
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cubed (optionally peeled)
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, finely diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup cornichons (or dill pickles), diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or sherry vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced/grated (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornichon (pickle) juice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, add a pinch of salt, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 8-10 minutes, before removing from water and letting them cool
- Toss the potatoes, parsley, dill, green onions, shallot, and cornichons in the mixture of the oil, vinegar, mustards, garlic, cornichon juice, salt and pepper.
- Enjoy immediately or let sit, covered, in the fridge for an hour or overnight!