This is a super simple, throw together, recipe for a fast meal. It’s basically a one-skillet ground beef dish with some of my favourite Greek inspired flavours and ingredients. It starts out with cooking the ground beef along with onion followed by adding spinach, that wilts in the heat, and then olives and feta. The dish is seasoned with plenty of herbs including oregano, parsley, dill and mint and I like to add a hint of cinnamon. This dish only takes about 20 minutes to make so you can easily cook some rice or pasta to serve it over.
Greek Beef Skillet
A quick and easy ground beef skillet dish with Greek style seasonings including spinach, olives, feta, oregano and plenty of fresh herbs!
- 1 pound ground beef (and/or lamb)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/3 cup green olives, sliced
- 1/3 cup feta, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking the beef apart as it cooks, before draining off any excess grease.
- Add the garlic, cinnamon and oregano and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the spinach, mix it in and cook until it wilts, about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the olives and feta before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the green onions, parsley, mint and dill and enjoy!
Option: Add 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes and bring to a bli before adding the spinach.
Tip: Cook rice or pasta while the beef cooks and it will be done at about the same time.